Obviously, there are millions of pet-related books that have been written and are available for all of us to read. Books on every species of pet, pet training, first aid, holistic treatments, behavior, the list goes on and on. That’s why we asked ourselves and our staff what pet books have we read that we think every pet owner should put on their MUST READ list.
Here are the titles that made the cut:
- The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein: This is a great book about love, life and family have written from Enzo, the dog’s point of view. We found this to be a heartwarming read.
- Inside of a Dog: What Dogs See, Smell and Know by Alexandra Horowitz Cognitive scientist, Alexandra Horowitz explains what how dogs perceive the world around them and gives some us insight into man’s best friend.
- Chicken Soup for the Pet Lovers Soul is a great compilation of amazing stories from all over the world. Stories about the pet-human bond, inspiration pieces, and tales that will bring a tear to your eye – this book has it all. Of course, there are other books: Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover’s Soul, Cat Lovers, Cat & Dog Lovers, Horse Lover – there’s one for everyone.
- A Breed Specific Book: If you’re thinking about adding a new pet to your family, spend time researching the breed so you can fully understand that their care requirements will be. How often and how long should they be exercised, what are their common health problems, how easy are they to train, etc.
- Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo This is a sweet story about a young girl and her first dog.
- The Incredible Journey by Sheila Bornford 2 dogs a cat travel across the Canadian wilderness to be reunited with their family. You may remember the Disney movie, Homeward Bound!
- Saying Goodbye to the Pet You Love: A Complete Resource to Help You Heal by Lorri A. Green & Jacquelyn Landis Although a sad topic, it’s one all pet owners must face someday. This book helps you recognize your pain and work through the grief by helping you mourn, memorialize and remember your pet in a healthy manner.
Back to you:
What pet books do you think every pet owner should read? Please feel free to comment below to share your thoughts.